All levels | 22 min 19 sec
The pamphlet is a deceptively simple bookbinding structure that’s easy to transform into something fabulous. Printmaker and book artist Sarah Matthews demonstrates three ways to bind a basic pamphlet book: a seven-hole pamphlet stitch, the link stitch, and her favorite - the dot dash stitch. Use these approachable techniques to make books, journals, zines, and more, and play with specialized tools like the bone folder, a Japanese screw punch, and waxed linen thread.Learn how to:
What you'll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Three sheets of decorative paper for covers: 1 each for 3 pamphlets, the same dimensions as your cardstock
- 67 lb cardstock - Sarah is using 10" x 14", 8 sheets per pamphlet
- Japanese Screw Punch - https://www.talasonline.com/Japanese-Push
- Bone folder
- Two bookbinding needles
- Crawford 4-ply waxed linen thread in at least two colors
- Binder clip
- A piece of scratch paper cut to 10" x 1"
- Sew a seven-hole pamphlet stitch
- Sew a link stitch
- Sew a dot dash stitch
- Use a Japanese screw punch
- Create a cheat sheet for perfectly spaced stitching holes
What you'll get:
- An easy-to-follow lesson on how to do three different bindings to make a pamphlet-style book
- 4 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step expert instruction from artist Sarah Matthews
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
143 users recommended this class to a friend
This technique is new to me but looks like a pretty amazing way to start creating books without a bookbinding machine. And your books can look as unique as the paper I choose!
5 days ago
Great techniques shared in a clear way. It would have been easier to see the biindings if the pamphlet cover prints weren't so busy or solid colors instead (though prints are way more fun!)
March 7, 2023
I think that this is an excellent way! I have been trying to find a way to mind my book for ages! Thank you so much for this video because it really helps!
March 3, 2023