All levels | 14 min 51 sec
In this informative class, Liesl of Oliver + S takes you to her favorite fabric store in New York City and shares helpful tips on how to navigate fabric shops. There is a lot to consider when selecting fabric, from understanding the difference between woven and knit fabrics to grasping the fundamentals of drape. Liesl demystifies the basics, and then goes on to discuss the unique qualities of the most popular fibers available: silk, cotton, and wool. You'll walk away from this class with a better understanding of what kind of fabric will work best for the project you're making, and the confidence to experiment with new fibers.Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
- Tell the difference between a knit fabric and a woven fabric
- Understand what it means for a fabric to “drape”
- Understand the unique qualities of silk, cotton, and wool
What you’ll get:
- A detailed class on fabrics
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step instruction by expert instructor and designer Liesl Gibson
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
1190 users recommended this class to a friend
I did enjoy this class and she provided useful information about fabric selection
Good overview - would LOVE a more detailed class on fabrics and where they are all best used, examples shown and worn, etc. Liesl is a fantastic teacher!
February 6, 2023
That store looks like a candy shop for people who sew! Are there other types of materials for fabrics besides these 3?
January 22, 2023