All levels | 27 min 47 sec
If you’re ready to jump into quilting with your home sewing machine, this workshop is for you. Sue shows you how to get the best results at home, using straight line stitching with a walking foot. She covers how to secure your starts so your stitching is secure, and how to handle the bulk of a quilt on a home machine. Sue teaches you how to straight line stitch on a grid, as well as stitching in the ditch for pieced quilts. This workshop will have you machine quilting with confidence in no time!
Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:Materials:
- sewing machine
- walking foot or built-in walking foot system (even feed system)
- average weight cotton thread
- scissors or tool for clipping threads
- 10-12" squares of quilt sandwiches for practice (solid fabric, batting, backing held together with safety pins) marked with 1" grid
- quilt for stitching
- Preparing sewing machine for quilting
- Using a walking foot
- Straight-line quilting and “Stitch in the ditch” applique outline stitching
What you’ll get:
- An easy-to-follow lesson on the basics of machine quilting
- 4 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step instruction by expert quilter Sue Nickels
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Machine Quilting Basics Reviews
726 users recommended this class to a friend
Sue taught beautifully how to stitch in the ditch and how to fold a big quilt to quilt it on a domestic sewing machine. Very helpful class.
October 15, 2023
Martha Dianne Sperry
The demonstration and explanations are very helpful and informative. I previously used hand quilting on the quilts I've made and have been tempted but hesitant to try machine quilting. This class has provided the encouragement and confidence to try machine quilting.
October 1, 2023
It was great. so good to refresh my memory as I haven't quilted in a while. I noticed there were some basting stitches around the edge of the quilt. can you talk about that please.
More than 3 months ago