Beginner | 7 min
Modern quilter and designer, Heather Jones, shares how easy it can be to transform visual inspiration into patchwork goodness. In this class, learn how to construct a bold and contemporary quilt block that pays homage to her favorite artist, Josef Albers, and his series of paintings titled “Homage to the Square.” This crisp design and easy construction allows for creative freedom, so you can scale your block to a different size, or have fun playing with unexpected color combinations.
Unfinished block will be a 7 ½” x 7 ½” square
Finished block will be a 7” x 7” square
Learn how to:
- Precut fat quarters into specific dimensions
- Sew precuts together to create a modern quilt block
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Heather Jones on Josef Albers block
- A quick video lesson you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Three fat quarters of quilting cotton - Heather uses three solid colors in an analogous color family cut into the following dimensions:
- First color (light blue): One 3 ½” x 3 ½” square
- Second color (dark blue): Two 1 ½” x 3 ½” strips, and one 2 ½” x 5 ½” strip
- Third color (lavender): Two 1 ½” x 5 ½” strips and one 2 ½” x 7 ½” strip
- Sewing machine
- Neutral thread
- Ironing surface
Browse members' projects from this class, add them to your Favorites, and share your own work!
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Who's Recently Taken This Class
Meet other Creativebug crafters who have recently taken this class.