Intermediate | 19 min 5 sec
Learn how to turn sentimental or special fabric into custom book cloth for your handmade books. Jody explains which fabrics work best, and shows the traditional Japanese technique of backing fabric with washi paper to create a durable book cloth that can be used to create hardcover books and personalize your book projects.
Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fabric scissors
- Craft knife
- Glue brush
- Shoe polish brush
- Fabric of choice (at least 50% natural fiber)
- Piece of cardboard larger than your project
- Japanese washi paper (thin paper with long fibers)
- Piece of plexi glass larger than your project
- Wheat paste
- Choose fabrics to use for book cloth
- Back fabric with washi paper
- Dry and cut book cloth
- An easy-to-follow lesson on how to make a custom book cloth
- 5 HD video lesson you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step instruction by expert instructor Jody Alexander
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
448 users recommended this class to a friend
I always love Jodi’s classes. She is creative and an awesome instructor.
March 4, 2023
I love the breakdown of the process for creating your own book cloth, which really opens up the possibilities for future book projects!
December 26, 2022