Beginner | 24 min 6 sec
Learn how to build a color story for your next patchwork project with modern quilter, Heather Jones. This course begins with a basic overview of the color wheel and how quilter’s can use it to understand the interaction of colors in patchwork– a particularly helpful skill when you’re trying to pair prints with solids. Heather also teaches fun exercises for getting outside of your comfort zone, and suggests fascinating sources for further research.Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- The basics of the color wheel
- The meaning of terms like “hue”, “intensity”, “tint”, and “shade”
- How different colors behave when they are next to each other in patchwork
- Exercises for creating color palettes using everyday items
- Ideas for further learning: The Interaction of Color by Josef Albers, The Interaction of Color App for iPad
What you’ll get:
- Step-by-step expert instruction from Heather Jones on color theory
- 4 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
460 users recommended this class to a friend
I didn't know about color palettes, so this is very helpful in choosing fabrics for my quilts.
December 18, 2022
Heather did an amazing job explaining colors and how they work together. I especially enjoyed how she built palettes at the end with different objects. It's useful in training your eyes in seeing color palettes wherever you are.
November 17, 2022
Great class. I'd like to see more on combining patterned fabrics - i.e. how to pick which colors in a print to use when combining with other patterned fabrics.
More than 3 months ago