Advanced | 1 hour 14 min
For everyone who wants to learn or improve free motion quilting at home, this workshop is for you. Free motion quilting gives you total control over the direction and stitch length of your quilting, which Sue shows you how to achieve. From machine settings to threads, tools and tips – Sue walks through the basics of free motion techniques, from stippling through cabling and feathers so you will be set up to create any number of designs on your quilt.
Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sewing machine
- open toe darning foot
- Bernina stitch regulator (optional)
- rubber glove finger tips
- straight stitch throat plate
- curve tipped scissors
- Preparing sewing machine for free-motion quilting
- Securing starts and stops as well as controlling tension and stitch length
- Free-motion techniques: Stippling, cables and feathers
- Quilting around appliques
- An easy-to-follow lesson on advance machine quilting
- 8 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Downloadable PDF pattern included - $16 value
- Step-by-step expert instruction by quilting artist Sue Nickels
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
178 users recommended this class to a friend
I learned some very important things when doing free motion quilting. I thought I would have to buy a bigger machine for the free motion, but when she showed how to fold and then stitched the quilt with the stippling. That helped me to understand I am the boss of my quilt. I always thought the quilt was the boss. I want to thank her because helped me understand the stippling that I was afraid to attempt. Now it seems I will be doing a lot of my own stippling and also marked designs.
1 day ago
Great teacher, clear and full of good tips and advice. I now just need to practice, practice, practice.
March 22, 2023