Intermediate | 25 min 1 sec
In Anna Maria Horner's Three-Part Harmony Quilt, you'll learn how to create balance and movement in your design simply by focusing on color tones. Using small squares of fabric and half-square triangles, this quilt practically glows, encouraging your eye to move from block to block and shade to shade. While the construction of this quilt is simple, the design is made dynamic through the arrangement and placement of light, medium and dark fabrics. Use this technique to make an impactful quilt in any size.
Learn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- For a 48" x 48: quilt, you will need 3 3/4 yards of quilting fabric in light, medium, and dark tones: 1 3/4 yards light, 1/2 yards medium, 1 1/2 yards dark
- 3 yards backing fabric
- 60" x 60" batting
- 6 yards binding tape or bias tape
- Rotary cutter and mat
- Clear quilting ruler (at least 4 ½” wide for more accuracy)
- Thread snips
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating thread
- Ironing surface
- PDF for reference
- Categorize printed fabrics by light, medium, and dark tones
- Accurately and efficiently pre-cut squares of fabric
- Cut and sew half-square triangles
- Design a quilt top by tone instead of color on a flat surface or design wall
- Sew a patchwork block using chain-piecing technique
- Step-by-step guidance on creating a dynamic quilt design through color and tone.
- 7 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list and downloadable PDF templates ($16 value)
- Expert instruction from designer Anna Maria Horner
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Three-Part Harmony Quilt Reviews
584 users recommended this class to a friend
Great teacher. I love this quilt. I hope I can make it in the future.
October 31, 2023