Intermediate | 47 min
When it comes to creating a handmade wardrobe, this super-simple shirt will be your go-to pattern, featuring a casual fit and a contrast bias facing that comes together quickly. Known for her pattern line "100 Acts of Sewing," Sonya Philip demonstrates how to make her famous Shirt No. 1 pattern, plus three new variations: a contrasting yoke, a kicky bias-cut bottom, and a sweet button-front version. This pattern is designed to be simple enough for an absolute beginner but with enough customizations to keep an advanced sewist engaged. Shirt No.1 is an addictive wardrobe staple, with PDF patterns provided for all variations.Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lightweight woven fabric such as linen, cotton lawn, voile or natural fiber blend: 1½ yards for XS –L; 1¾ yards for XL-4X; If making bias bottom option, 2 – 2½ yards total will be needed
- Additional ½ yard or fat quarter of fabric for bias tape
- Sewing machine setup with matching thread
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Seam gauge
- Washi tape
- Tailor’s chalk or marking pencil
- Quilting ruler
- Scissors for paper and fabric
- Rotary cutter
- ¾” bias tape maker
- Iron and ironing surface
- Buttons (optional)
- Pattern PDF
- Sew Shirt No. 1 Pattern
- Adjust the length of a shirt
- Make bias tape
- Attach bias tape to the neck facing
- Sew a front or back yoke
- Sew a button-front variation
- Make a bias cut bottom panel
What you’ll get:
- Step-by-step expert instruction on sewing a basic shirt pattern and three ways you can customize it.
- 8 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supplies list and downloadable PDF with pattern pieces ($16 value)
- Step-by-step expert instruction from patternmaker, Sonya Philip
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions, and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
912 users recommended this class to a friend
Nice and easy simple to follow for beginners! Love that the pattern is included. Teacher explains each step and why each action is done.
3 days ago
Lovely! This instructor is easy to understand, simple in her approach, and the design is truly versatile!
January 31, 2023
She was very thorough in her explanations. Nice calm but friendly voice. It was nice of her to show other variations completely. Very helpful.
January 24, 2023