Intermediate | 1 hour 11 min
Turn your favorite fabric scraps into a quilted heirloom holiday stocking with author, designer, and modern quilter Blair Stocker of Wise Craft Handmade. The super-tiny half square triangle units (HSTs) that make up the intricate front piece of your stocking will truly sparkle like multi-faceted gems. To achieve this "quilt sparkle," Blair teaches you about color value, how to determine it in your fabrics using a tool she invented called the Ruby Ruler, and how to use it in your quilt designs. You'll move on to straight-line quilting your stocking panels and sewing together the complete stocking with a cuff and a hanging loop. This is such a special project for using bits of your treasured fabrics to create a one-of-a-kind piece that you and your loved ones can cherish holiday after holidayLearn how to:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- One yard total of quilting cotton scraps
- 1/2 yard of a printed quilting cotton for backing
- 1/2 yard of solid quilting cotton for lining
- Two 9" x 8" pieces of solid quilting cotton for the cuff
- 9" x 1 1/2" strip of quilting cotton for hanging loop
- Two pieces of batting approximately 12" x 24"
- Paper scissors
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Quilting ruler for marking quilting lines
- Flattening spray or starch
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine threaded with neutral thread
- Seam ripper
- Iron and ironing surface
- Hera Marker
- Fabric marking pen or pencil
- Walking foot for quilting (optional)
- Ruby Ruler™ (optional)
- Sew an heirloom patchwork holiday stocking
- Sew a half square triangle or HST
- Sew a 4-patch diamond
- Assemble a quilt top
- Straight line quilt
- Use a sewing stiletto
- Create a cuff
- Sew a hanging loop
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Sew a Stash-Busting Stocking Reviews
19 users recommended this class to a friend
I received greater understanding about color values. Christmas stocking is gorgeous.
November 12, 2023
Brilliant teaching and pattern, full of lots of well explained lessons.
October 11, 2023
The class was very clear and thorough. I plan on watching the video again while I make a stocking.
September 30, 2023