All levels | 1 hour 13 min
Learn the basics of collage from multi-media artist, Courtney. From gathering your materials to building a base layer to adding decorative elements, Courtney walks you through the entire creative process of assembling a collage so that you can make a signature masterpiece of your own. This is a perfect class for beginners and those who want to tap into their creativity—in fact, the hardest part about collage is learning how to narrow down your materials and use your “editing eye” to make sure all of the elements work together. Courtney provides lots of advice for how to make these decisions along the way. And if you make a mistake? No problem! Just collage over it and move on.Learn how to:
What you’ll get:
Here’s what you’ll need:Materials:
- Base for your collage (Courtney uses a 12"x12" wooden canvas)
- Gel Medium (Courtney uses Golden Brand Matte Gel Medium)
- Glue Stick
- Heat gun (optional)
- Various found paper ephemera
- Mark making tools (Courtney uses vintage stamps - pens - pencils - China markers - pallet knives and scrapers)
- Pattern transfer paper and transfer wheel
- Photocopies of clip art and found images (Courtney uses Dover Publication clip art books)
- Vintage stamps
- Wax paper and baby wipes
- Small and large paint brushes
- Gold leafing kit (optional)
- Washi or masking tape
- Acrylic paints
- All materials are optional!
- Sort and select collage materials
- Use gel medium
- Use pattern transfer paper
- Create freehand drawings
- Use gold leaf and sizing
What you’ll get:
- An easy-to-follow on beginning collage
- 5 HD video lessons you can access online anytime, anywhere
- Detailed supply list
- Step-by-step instruction by expert instructor and artist Courtney Cerruti
- The ability to leave comments, ask questions and interact with other students
Browse members' projects from this class and share your own work! Learn how to take great photos here.
Your timecode tags and notes for this section
Beginning Collage Reviews
554 users recommended this class to a friend
Kept it simple and made collage as simple as it was in grade school. Remember how lovely to just have fun:) Thank you for this!
September 6, 2023
Very well taught, the teacher explained each technique fully and gave great tips and ideas.
August 29, 2023
This class was great! I love the instruction and advice to collect your materials and that there really are no rules! Thank you!
August 17, 2023